How to look after a new tattoo
So, you've got yourself a fresh tattoo. Congratulations! Now, it's time to embark on the sacred journey of tattoo aftercare. Don't worry, we've got your back (or should we say, your arm, leg, or wherever you got tattooed).
First things first, let's talk about the healing process. Your tattoo is like a beautiful work of art, and just like any masterpiece, it needs time to settle and shine. So, be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was your tattoo.
Now, let's dive into the tattoo aftercare:
1. Keep it clean: Wash your tattoo gently with a mild, fragrance-free soap and lukewarm water. Don't scrub it like you're trying to erase a bad memory. Treat it with love and care, like a delicate flower.
2. Moisturize like a boss: After washing, pat your tattoo dry with a clean towel (no rubbing, please). Then, apply a thin layer of tattoo balm, like the Underdog tattooing balm that we sell at 7th Circle Tattoo & Piercing (or whichever balm your Artist recommends, if you’re not sure just ask). It's like a magic potion for your skin, made with all-natural ingredients that will nourish and protect your tattoo.
3. Avoid the sun: Your tattoo needs some alone time with its thoughts, away from the harsh rays of the sun. So, cover it up with loose clothing or if it’s healed enough you can slather on some sunscreen (SPF 50+, please) whenever you're out and about. Your tattoo will thank you later.
4. No scratching, itching, or picking: We know it's tempting, but resist the urge to scratch that itch. Trust us, it's not worth the risk of ruining your masterpiece. Instead, gently pat the area to alleviate the itchiness. It may look silly, but hey, it works!
5. Say no to swimming pools and hot tubs: Avoid soaking your tattoo in pools, hot tubs, or any body of water. These places are a breeding ground for bacteria, and we don't want any uninvited guests crashing your tattoo party. Still shower though 😬 your tattoo will be fine getting a little wet just don’t soak it. 😅
6. Don't listen to your friends: Everyone and their grandma will have an opinion on how to care for your tattoo. But remember, you're the boss of your ink. Stick to the aftercare instructions given by your tattoo artist and trust your gut. You've got this! (Again if you’re not sure, just ask your Artist).
7. Embrace the healing process: Your tattoo will go through various stages of healing, from scabbing to peeling to looking like a beautiful piece of art. Embrace each stage and resist the urge to compare it to others. Your tattoo is unique, just like you.
And there you have it, a guide to looking after your fresh tattoo. Remember, this is just the beginning of a lifelong affair with your ink. Treat it with care, show it off proudly, and wear it like a badge of honour.
Always make sure to ask your Artist for their personal aftercare advice as there are as many opinions on what is the correct way as there are people.